Thursday, March 27, 2014

Looking Back at my October 2013 Cruise+ Wardrobe

Last September, I wrote about planning my wardrobe for 25 days of varied climates and venues in Europe, including 7 days sailing the Aegean Sea, and linked to my polyvore packing list. In that post, I featured a couple of jersey tunics by Calvin Klein that were long enough to be dresses on me, and looked great with leggings. They seemed perfect for travel. Alas, they disappointed me, and will not be worn again by me, unless for a sedentary occasion. The fabric, a lightweight jersey of 95% polyester and 5% spandex, just did not breathe. My very light sweating (from walking moderately for a couple hours) caused awful odors to develop in both tops. I mean, truly stinky body odor. This is not normal for me, and my body did not smell. My companions will attest that neither I nor my clothing become malodorous after a day's activities. It's also not normal for other similar poly-spandex jersey blend clothing I own. For example, TravelSmith's Voyager Knit garments are also made of 95% polyester and 5% spandex, but the fabric breathes and stays fresh. Quite a sorry surprise to lose two travel tops that are so easy, versatile, and flattering. It's even more unfortunate that Calvin Klein's fabric buyers don't test usability and breathability.

I intended to wear my long navy stretch lace Tommy Bahama dress to our formal dinner on the cruise, but discovered that it was too long while I was getting dressed for that dinner! I had hemmed it, but not measured correctly. Quickly, I changed into a different outfit, wearing my vintage Janice Wainwright jacket with a metallic skirt. Certain that my cashmere split pashmina would prove versatile, I was surprised that it went unused -- no occasion to wear it occurred. Of course, if I didn't take my silk travel blanket, I could have used the pashmina while flying to stay warm.

In February, I finally got around to making a retrospective packing list that only included the items I wore. Note that the two tunics (with arrows pointing to them) were excluded from the rotation after one wearing, but I did wear them once each.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=105761094

The weather was cool and comfortable in Amsterdam, our first destination. Istanbul, however, suffered a rare spell of bitterly cold temperatures and freezing rain during our visit. That didn't deter us; we braved the elements and toured historical venues, warmed up in hamams, and enjoyed local food, culture and sights in and around Sultanahmet.

On the Hippodrome in Istanbul
Shoes: Naot "Nau Mai" • Black jeans by NYDJ
Black cardigan by August Silk • T-shirt by Splendid
Vintage Bally handbag (coat, scarf, umbrella not shown)
On our fifth day in Istanbul, it warmed up a bit as we boarded the Seabourne Odyssey for a 7 night cruise that ended in Athens. Cesme, our second stop, was cool but comfortable, it was hot in Ephesus, and nearly perfect temperatures spoiled us throughout the Greek Islands. Athens was a bit too warm and humid for my taste. Finally, in London, we stayed at the Marriott in Kensington, which is well located but the rooms are tiny. After our excursions in unpleasantly cold and rainy weather,  we were grateful for the executive lounge, afforded by my Marriott status. It was great to drop in and warm up with a fresh "cuppa," plus their thoughtful selection of foods and other beverages.

On the steps to the Acropolis, in Athens. I purchased the navy pebbled leather handbag in Istanbul.
Dress: Voyager Knit Seamed Jersey Dress in navy (my favorite travel dress!)
Sandals: Orthaheel "Tide" in navy (best flip flops in the world!)
What I packed and wore for three weeks in multiple European urban climates plus an Aegean Cruise:

6 pairs of shoes:
  • black leather ankle boots from Naot
  • burgundy and black leather Naot "Nau Mai" mary jane flats
  • navy blue leather Naot "Architect" ballet flats
  • bronze metallic leather Cole Haan ballet flats
  • Orthaheel's navy blue "Tide" flip flop sandal
  • Teva "Dozer III" all terrain shoe/sandal
Did I mention that Naot is my favorite brand of shoes and boots? Their comfort is unmatched for me; I can walk a dozen miles on cobblestones and rough surfaces in Naot shoes without sore feet or aching body parts. At home in Hawaii, I own eight or nine different colored pairs of Orthaheel's "Tide" sandals, because they provide support not found in ordinary flip flops. Orthaheel's flip flops keep me out of pain that I would otherwise experience wearing flat "slippahs" in Hawaii. Six pairs of shoes is considered "over the top" by many travel experts; indeed, there are a lot of shoes to pack! But, the flip flops and the Cole Haan ballet flats take virtually no space. I wore the boots while flying, since they're the bulkiest. So essentially, from my perspective, I only had to worry about packing three pairs of shoes.

2+ purses:
  • vintage gold metallic quilted leather Bally bag with chain and leather strap
  • vintage black and brown leather Balley shoulder bag
  • red wristlet wallet with iPhone pocket
  • zippered travel wallet by Eagle Creek (not shown) that holds all travel documents
Coat, jackets, overshirts and cardigan sweaters:
  • my trusty classic black wool wrap coat by Ralph Lauren
  • black silk shawl / wrap
  • black silk knit open front cardigan sweater
  • navy, green and camel paisley "Jamevar Jacket" from TravelSmith
  • navy and white zip blazer by Jones New York
  • open cardigan sweater in neutral textured knit
  • lightweight navy blue long open cardigan sweater
  • vintage wool jacket with embroidered faux scarf by Janice Wainwright
  • sheer printed long silk overshirt from Shanghai Tang
  • sheer black long silk overshirt by DKNY with tabs to roll up the long sleeves
Tops, tunics and dresses:
  • 3/4 sleeve black cotton knit tunic by Ralph Lauren
  • black tab sleeve top by Splendid
  • black cotton scoop neck "Hannah" t-shirt by Pickwick & Weller
  • black cotton and modal v-neck t-shirt by Splendid
  • white cotton scoop neck "Hannah" t-shirt by Pickwick & Weller
  • eggplant/plum cashmere turtleneck sweater
  • navy cotton knit long sleeve v-neck shirt
  • navy & cream stripe 3/4 sleeve cotton knit shirt
  • orange linen sleeveless tunic
  • apricot/orange textured silk tank from Citron
  • 2 jersey tunics by Calvin Klein
  • 2 Voyager Knit seamed jersey sleeveless dresses, in eggplant and navy
Pants, shorts and skirts:
  • slim black ponte pants from Eileen Fisher
  • black straight leg jeans from NYDJ
  • navy cotton trousers
  • navy cotton bermudas
  • khaki bermudas
  • flowing skirt of bronze metallic fabric
  • reversible ankle length silk chiffon skirt (black/brown print or white dots on black)
Accessories:
  • my everyday 18" chain necklace with celtic pendant
  • 47-inch (120 cm) Misaki long faux pearl necklace
  • Antica Murrina 18" multicolor glass bead necklace
  • Swarovski ruby crystal heart necklace
  • blue beads and freshwater pearls multi-strand necklace
  • Alexander McQueen pink petal skull scarf in silk chiffon
  • Alexander McQueen red floral skill scarf
  • bathing suit and sarong
  • 7 pairs of underpants, 2 bras and 2 sports bras (black and nude)
  • nightgown
  • yoga/sleepwear
It certainly isn't a minimalist packing list, but I managed well with a 25" checked bag and my 22" roll-aboard, along with the matching tote bag filled to the brim with my electronics and in-flight essentials. My luggage from Eagle Creek is described in this post; after more than three dozen challenging trips over the past ten years, these bags are holding up beautifully.

The separates I packed "interoperated" well, giving me a variety of options, so I am pleased with my choices overall. There are a few pieces that didn't travel well, or that I didn't feel great in, notably the navy stretch cotton trousers by Ralph Lauren. I'll keep my eyes out for navy travel pants that I love as much as my Eileen Fisher black slim ponte pants. Any suggestions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment