Sunday, March 20, 2011

Starting to Plan for England and Cornwall

My good friend Caroline and I have scheduled a long weekend in London, followed by a few days in Salisbury, Bath and surrounding areas. Then we'll move on to Newquay in Cornwall for five days before returning home after fourteen days in total.

In London, we'll stay in a nice hotel near Bond Street. Each of us wants to be able to create several "city chic" outfits out of as few basic pieces as possible. We also want to wear boots, something that is silly to do at home in Hawaii. Because boots are heavy and large, we'll need to wear them while in transit, which is a bit of a hassle at airport screenings. But it's the only way we'll be able to achieve our goal to travel with just two small bags.

Two pieces of carry-on luggage -- that's the idea, anyway! I'll take my trusty 22-inch Tarmac bag from Eagle Creek (fits in overhead compartments, except on tiny commuter jets), and my Eagle Creek Tarmac large duffel for under the seat. The duffel has an external "sleeve" that slips over the retractible handle of the 22-inch rolling bag for easy wheeling through airports, on trains, and in cities. The duffel functions as an oversized purse, and will contain my actual purse (including wallet and other contents), camera, iPad, iPod, iPhone, chargers and adapters, in-flight essentials (a topic for another post), jewelry, medicines, and a very important addition, my Eagle Creek Getaway Tote, in matching Palm Green, that folds to nearly nothing, but can carry my purse, electronic devices, camera, jewelry and travel toiletries on the return trip as a third bag if needed. I don't plan to acquire anything, but who knows? I can always check my 22-inch duffel, and slip the getaway tote over the handle of the 22" Tarmac.




This is different from the way I traveled last October, when I carried an additional 25" Tarmac that I checked on 14 flights (8 domestic, 6 in Europe) and carried on 3 trains. It was much more work, but that holiday spanned six weeks in total, including three weeks in Europe that included climates ranging from bitter cold to very warm, from dry to wet. In this photo, taken with my sister on our first day in London, I'm wearing black travel basics, including boot cut black Not Your Daughter's Jeans, a lightweight black crew neck sweater from Jones New York, truly comfortable Keen MaryJanes in black nubuck, and a burnt orange v-neck sweater from Kenneth Cole. In my city backpack, there's a black water resistant oversized hooded windbreaker, pashmina/scarf, and gloves.

Last year's travel look (with Jill in London, October 2010)

During the first week of my trip (while in Michigan for my 40th high school reunion), my daughter spotted two dresses on sale at Macy's and encouraged me to to take a dress on my trip. After a week in Michigan, and a few days in Denver, I lightened my suitcases by leaving reunion clothing, and one dress at my sister's house near Lake Tahoe. The dress I took to Europe, an abstract print sheath with cap sleeves by AGB (a Macy's house brand?), turned out to be appropriate on several occasions. Below, it's paired with an August Silk cardigan, blackish brown patent leather belt, black hose, my B. Makowsky lambskin zipper hobo, and well worn Keen MaryJanes. Another time, it was topped with a brown cotton shirt by Glima that matched the brown in the dress, and Patra sandals by Crocs in solid chocolate brown (my favorite Crocs by far; alas they are out of production). Separately, I teamed the Glima top with a matching Glima skirt.



It strikes me when I look at the two photos of me that the outfits above would be greatly enhanced by complementary scarves. The style focus of our next trip will be fewer basic pieces with more scarves and other accessories that vary the looks.

It's too bad I don't have an import export business from the UK to Hawaii, because I'm able to check up to three 70 pound bags without charge thanks to my frequent flyer status. I wish I'd have remembered that last October when I shipped wine and olive oil from Italy to the USA. I would have saved a significant amount if I'd shipped it to my London hotel, and bought a couple of suitcases there to bring it home with me on the airplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment