Sunday, September 22, 2013

Complicated Travel Packing

In a few days, I depart for nearly three weeks in Europe with my pal Caroline. I'd love to travel with a carry-on only, but it's just not going to happen. There are too many venues and too many climates to create a capsule that will work for everything. We'll spend four days in Amsterdam, where autumn's cool weather will require a few warm layers. From there, we travel to the oldest part of Istanbul, Sultanahmet, where we will dress more in accord with the Islamic culture despite the warmer climate. This requires long sleeves and stockings or long pants/skirts to cover our legs and arms, and occasional head scarves.

Scarves are so easy to pack, but I think I'll take only a few and hope to buy some in Istanbul (and other destinations).

I think that these Calvin Klein jersey tunics will work well with leggings in Istanbul. Unless leggings are too revealing of the shape of legs. Hmmm ... more investigation is necessary.

 

After four nights in Istanbul, we'll board a small cruise ship and sail on the Aegean for seven days, with stops at several Greek islands and a couple Turkish ports, ending in Athens. The cruise calls for its own wardrobe, including dressing for dinner with one optional formal event. I need resort wear for this, and I hope to get some day and evening use from an embossed silk tank by Citron that I bought in Nyack, New York last year -- and which for some reason, I don't wear at home in Hawaii!



There will be shore excursions (such as to Ephesus) which will require sturdy clothing for a day of hiking in archeological ruins. After we disembark, we'll spend three days in Athens before we fly to London, where temperatures will likely be chilly. Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised, but this stop certainly requires a warm coat.

I'm working through my packing list on polyvore, but have too many items at the moment. Also, I fear, too many "travel" items of knit jersey in mostly synthetic fabrics. Not my normal style, but these will pack and travel very easily. After the trip, I'll build a second polyvore that shows what I actually wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment