Monday, December 9, 2013

China

Soon we'll be on our way to Hong Kong, where we'll stay for a couple of nights before we take the train into the People's Republic of China (PRC).

In Hong Kong, we can visit one of our favorite shops, the flagship store of the elegant retailer Shanghai Tang. Last year at this location, Peter bought me a beautiful long shirt of sheer silk with an abstract pattern in shades of blue, plum, and grey. In the photo below, I'm on the right, wearing the shirt over my staple travel dress (I own this flattering dress in three colors, and wear it at home as well as when traveling).

Final evening aboard the Seabourne Odyssey.
Sheer overshirt by Shanghai Tang • Voyager Knit Seamed Jersey Dress in eggplant
Cole Haan ballerina flats • Antica Murrina glass bead necklace
Back to the December 2013 trip:

Our first destination in the PRC is Guangzhou, known as Canton in earlier times. Located on the Pearl River, just above the Pearl Delta, Guangzhou is China's third largest city. Here, we'll stay in an American hotel with familiar amenities. The rest of the time, we stay in "party hotels," (as in communist party), which are basic to subpar. Based on previous experience trying to sleep on hard, uneven beds (and because I can check three bags free with my airline status), I will take along my own lightweight memory foam mattress topper and cotton "cocoon" sheet in a small duffel bag this trip.

Taking photos at Prawn Farm 1, near Enping in Guangdong Province.
My trusted classic Ralph Lauren black wool overcoat • Naot "Matai" shoes
 
Voyager Knit Seamed Jersey Dress in eggplant • Wolford Glam tights in eggplant
Similar to last year, we'll be reviewing operations of a Chinese agricultural company with which we're affiliated. Our trip, once again, will not involve any tourist destinations. I hope that we can see more of China on a subsequent visit, as I'm certain there will be more. This time, we'll spend two days on the Tibetan plateau, at 9000 feet above sea level, in Qinghai province. For that, I've packed heavy wool socks and thermal underlayers.

With my Donna Karan cashmere vest as an under layer, I was dressed for the -4°C (nearly 25°F) weather, but others were uncomfortably cold, so our hosts sent out for socks for everyone. My fleece tights and hand knitted socks kept me from freezing, plus I scored a new pair of wool socks from Xining.
The warmer clothing (sweaters and black jeans) will also be needed on our one day trip to Hunan, but back in Guangzhou I'll be able to wear dresses again and carry my coat during some of the day, I hope. I look forward to spending time with the international group of friends that are also involved with the company, and eating Chinese food!

No comments:

Post a Comment