Sunday, November 24, 2013

One That Got Away

I mentioned in my previous post that two Janice Wainwright items auctioned in July had escaped my attention until recently. I would have purchased both lots, had I known they were on offer. I've now signed up to receive notices of Christie's future fashion auctions, and hope to score something wonderful from one of them. Are there other fashion auction lists I need to join?

One of the items, an evening caftan, resembles the one that's currently for sale on 1stdibs.com. The caftan is priced well outside of my budget; actually, Christie's estimates were stretching it, but I would have bid in the range of their estimated prices.


Did this dealer buy the caftan that belonged to Suzy Menkes? It isn't mentioned; neither is a size. I wouldn't mention it either, if I were marking it up to this extent, although that provenance may prove to be of value some day.

The other item, an evening ensemble by Janice Wainwright, is one that I would love to wear! I do hope that a woman bought the ensemble and actually wears it, as I would. I already own two embroidered jackets by Janice Wainwright, but both are from a later period. Here's a grainy photo of me wearing one of them recently. The photo doesn't reflect details of the embroidery as well as I'd like.


A couple new acquisitions are in my closet, and I'm thinking about how to wear them for the holidays, or during our upcoming trip to China. One of them is a versatile tank dress from Tommy Bahama that I bought using a "Happy HulaDays" $50 gift card that the company just sent me. I bought the dress in the color pepper, which is a dark green slate shade, nearly grey. It fits well, and is a welcome addition as it will travel well, and coordinate with nearly everything I own that works with black.

No comments:

Post a Comment