Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Losing Weight

Since the first of August, I've been limiting my calories to basic nutrition, with a few treats, and exercising a bit more. Tracking it all, using the fantastic and free iPhone app LoseIt, has helped me to remain disciplined about not snacking or grazing when bored. Since August 2, I've lost 5.4 pounds. I can tell that it's not water loss, and I am thrilled!

To reward myself, I learned how to tie this knot in my fabulous Folklore scarf from Alexander McQueen:


I'm preparing for another long journey next month that includes a semi-formal wedding weekend in Maine, followed by a week in Amsterdam, a week in South Africa, and a long weekend in London. I have been playing with Polyvore to plan my outfits. Such fun! I haven't finalized my travel wardrobe yet, as I am learning the limitations and possibilities of Polyvore. Where unable to find the exact item of clothing I own, I search for an equivalent one in style and appearance -- and often these equivalent items cost much more than my original items. I think that I am a careful and savvy shopper who gets a lot of value for money well spent ... but perhaps I'm just another addicted consumer.
I think I have the wedding outfit decided (minus jewelry, and that will determine choice of wrap), and a good idea of what I want to wear while I'm living the city life in Amsterdam and London, but challenging style choices remain. Today I will try to decide on the jewelry I'm going to take. At the moment, I'm wearing two pretty 18-inch cultured pearl necklaces (7 to 7.5 mm) that I tried on earlier; they probably are too sedate, although I have decided to begin wearing them again. The wedding guests have been encouraged to display their finest bling. Since I'm traveling on to Europe and Africa, I don't want to carry valuable pieces. I have a rhinestone rope, vintage 1920s, that I may take ... although it is virtually irreplaceable, and thus just as valuable as my "real" gems.

Also, when I peruse my closet for travel items, I come across more options for Africa, including an attractive sturdy khaki skirt with large pockets, and several other safari-style garments. We will camp in an elephant park for two nights, but I can't justify having the skirt for that. The marketing for the Cape Town hotel features Eastern European looking babes in sexy, chic clothing ... so would my skirt just be dowdy, even with a crisp white blouse? And will my Teva hiking sandals do the trick with socks on -- or do I need sturdier shoes? It will be spring when I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment