Thursday, November 10, 2011

Closet Cleaning: One Step at a Time

It is downright discouraging to view my overstuffed closet! Yes, I delightedly rediscover fabulous items when I begin to sort through it. I firmly believe that I want to keep most of it, so I'm challenged trying to imagine how to organize it. Yesterday, I decided to devote some time and I managed to organize one drawer. In the process, I discarded several things (yay!), and added a new container for items that don't belong in the drawer. I filled a tiny plastic four drawer Sterilite-type chest with sewing, jewelry-making and other craft items, spare shoe laces, and rarely used clothing accoutrements (sashes and bows, neck ties, self belts) that I had dropped into the drawer for lack of a designated space.Then I cleaned and newly arranged the drawer to be able to see my jewelry (I know what's in the closed boxes). In the resulting array, I featured a name tag from my mom (and her pair of colorful wooden cherubs) that make me think of her and smile each time I open the drawer.

Before: This became a junk drawer for personal items I use occasionally, or want to save. Originally, it contained some jewelry and mementos (still at the bottom of the drawer in nearly original position). Click photos for larger versions.
After: mostly brooches, belt buckles and watches, plus angels -- "Mom" and "Aunt Eleanor" -- that were souvenirs from their 1982 visit to me in Germany. In the before photo, the angels were individually wrapped inside the Crown Royal bag.
Today, I also made an easy decision to delete two working pieces from my wardrobe.

Our friend Margery sent a photo taken at our group holiday in Mexico in June, in which I wore a white sleeveless blouse. Immediately, I thought I looked old and unattractive, even though I have liked the blouse. It fits properly, with darts that match my figure, no gaps between the buttons, and rows of tiny pleats sewn vertically down the front. It is classic, in a quality cotton poplin. But it didn't look stylish or flattering -- just ordinary at best. I know that my Renaissance Man (hubby) will agree that this blouse isn't great on me, because he told me so recently, and I ignored him (with no time to change, and happy that it fits well).

Two evenings ago, I wore my charcoal grey t-shirt knit cotton skirt to hang out with friends. Although I paired it with an interesting and attractive Splendid top, and multi-strand African beaded necklace, I felt somewhat dowdy. I knew the skirt wasn't working, but I wore it anyway, intending to ask C and M if I should delete it from my wardrobe. I forgot to ask, but upon examination after I returned home -- and recalling that I was not complimented on my outfit -- I happily decided that I could part with the skirt. Just to be sure, though, I am wearing it today around the house, styled completely differently than the other night. This time, instead of loose top with oversized bottom, I am following the fashion rule that allows for only one of those pieces to be oversized, and wearing it with a cranberry v-neck sleeveless shapewear top. I've disguised the drawstring waist by using a long scarf as a belt. It looks much better, but still doesn't flatter. The skirt, by Cut Loose, is meant to be comfortable, which is great for my laid back local Hawaiian lifestyle. I remember when I bought it on sale at Macy's in Kona, and thought it was a great basic piece for my wardrobe. It is a terrific basic -- just not for me! I want to look great while feeling comfortable, so I need to learn a lesson from these two fundamental separates. Quality notwithstanding, all clothing must fit well and must flatter me. Doh! Shouldn't I be able to apply that knowledge by now?

During the many years that I was skinny and petite, oversized just looked too big on me. I still looked good. Now that I work to stay trim, oversized clothing adds weight, especially on a petite frame. Also, conventional classics sometimes look ordinary. Lessons learned. Out you go, skirt and blouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment